Pages

December 10, 2011

Christmas Mantel and Memories

Warning: there is an excessive, almost annoying use of Picasa Image Editing in this post! It's awesome and free so treat yourself and download it if you haven't already! You can take even the worst photo and crop, tint, edit etc. and turn it into a work of art! I played with it alot tonight!
Anyway....
Our Christmas 2011 mantle is complete and has all my favorite decorating elements of this year...homemade vintage style sign, an old light finial,


Christmas in a bottle, sparkly bound books,

Old silverware

and dried hydrangeas.
We kept our tree simple with burlap garland, dried hydrangeas, white lights and antique sheet music horns. Since this was the eighth tree I've decorated this year keeping it simple just seemed like the way to go.


I was almost burnt out on decorating after doing the trees at several of our local stores and one hair salon. 
However there was no way I could skimp out on my own house so the main floor is now done and the bedrooms are tomorrow's task.
This is the the little present box I made for small gifts and cards. I love it's simplicity. The graphic is from The Graphics Fairy.


This is my wreath collection in the front hall...I just feel they have more impact as a collective group.


Our end-of-hall armoire also serves as my very fancy linen closet as our house is older and we don't have an obvious place to keep the vacuum, light bulbs and swiffer etc. This is the best way I know to store big ugly things and still have your house look somewhat classy...


There are a couple of stories behind this particular vignette that I just love. The picture to the left of the armoire is my mom and grandma the two years before I was born, shopping in downtown Vancouver.
It's one of my favorite photos of all time as they look so classy in their fur-trimmed coats, beautiful shoes and happy smiles.



My mother recalls her black pumps to be a real splurge that she was very excited to own.
They were and are both such beautiful women, inside and out and I love the way this picture captures their spirit and their happy day!


The other interesting story behind my hallway is the chair below the picture. The chair has been in my family for years.
When my mother was a little girl, a missionary lady named Miss Ridley who was working in China came to stay with my great grandparents family in Penticton BC when she was home from the mission field.
Miss Ridley, for whatever reason brought her own chair on the ship - whether this was required or she just brought it home as one of her few belongings, I don't know.
However I have inherited the chair after years of seeing it at my grandparents house. Although I am usually not a huge fan of Oriental antiques I love the history behind this piece and the thought of this little missionary woman riding for perhaps weeks on a huge ship while sitting on this little chair.

Have a wonderful time decorating your own homes this holiday season.
Remember beautiful spaces create beautiful minds!


I'm partying at:


Sunday's Best Linky Party!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Link Party
Mod Vintage Life

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful home and such beautiful holiday decorations. Love you mantel, really love your wreath collection. I like them grouped together. The cabinet at the end of the hall is outstanding. and I liked the story about the chair. How cute is that. thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautifully decorated home, love your tree with the dried hydrangeas and the memories you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've decorated your home beautifully! Following you my fellow Canadian. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. that collection of wreaths on the wall is beautiful! i love them grouped like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with your wall of wreaths!! Lovely home!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me any kind of feedback!