Pages

January 12, 2012

The Chandelier Story

What is my perfect crime? I break into Tiffany's at midnight. Do I go for the vault? No. I go for the chandelier; it's priceless.


This is Bryan - Bryan has a truly lovely store here in Abbotsford, called Paper Nation.
It has a wonderful selection of gift paper, scrapbook and card making paper, gifts, journals and the most hilarious (cheeky) cards! If you live in the area and haven't been in, you are truly missing out!


Bryan would love to have a chandelier in his store! Cause he has good taste.


What Bryan doesn't want in his store - is THIS chandelier! No one does...that's probably why I found it at a used building supply store! It's a little outdated with it's brassy finish and ornate look.


I knew it had potential under all those brassy loops and curves...it just needed a little help. I started by taking off all the curvy arm pieces, and dry brushing it with ASCP Paris Grey. Getting better already!


The little holes at the top and bottom where the arms were supposed to attach, happened to be the perfect size for some Swarovski crystals. You should always put a rhinestone wherever one will fit....I have one in my belly button right now...hahhaaha.
Not really.

This is Jan - she works for Bryan and is a paper/crafting genius...and I knew she could help me with this next part! I could see in  my mind what I wanted to do but haven't spent much time crafting with paper before. Jan is great at this and teaches classes at Paper Nation on all sorts of things. She's very patient and encouraging and a real doll to work with!


She taught me to make all sorts of paper flowers. It was really fun and allowed my to play with a whole new medium in a different way.


Once the flowers were assembled I started to attach them to the middle rod of the chandelier just placing them where they seemed to work out.


I knew I didn't want it to be a flat finish so we did a lot of bending and layering to give it more of a 3D look with lots of interest and variety.

I gave it a good spray with a clear coat to protect the paper and make it a little stronger.


It's resting in the window of Paper Nation tonight until we get some bulbs and hang it tomorrow.


I LOVE it as it's one of a kind and such a dramatic change from its original state.


Thanks for stopping in - let me know what you think. I love your comments and would really love some feedback on this one!



I`m partying at:

My Repurposed Life

Somewhat Simple
shabby creek cottage



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Good fun with you today. Couldn't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. Let's do it again. You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous.... extreme make over - looks great! I'm working on a plain jane one I have hanging in my dining room now. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a transformation! I never thought to use paper flowers like that - in fact , now I am thinking about my daughter's chandelier. It may get a "makeover" this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's positively fabulous and perfect for his store. Did you charge him $10,000.00 for the transformation?? Well worth it! :) Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really did see the beauty in this ugly duckling. What a wonderful transformation. The paper flowers are the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cute. I have never seen anything like it before and I think it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really LOVE that you created something from junk that totally relates to the business! It's a great way to build their brand image (creativity) and inspire customers - which helps them sell product. Brilliant! (PS: Donna sent me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is a total transformation! The paper embellishments are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who would've thought....paper flowers on a chandelier! What a sweet transformation! Visiting from SNS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Super cute! Now Bryan won't have to break into Tiffany's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very creative re-work of that chandelier! I like chandy re-do's but I think I would have passed on this one due to the curvy pieces (that you removed)
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so beautiful! And that store looks like a place I could lose myself in. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! what a beautiful job!

    http://myhappilyeverafteragain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks amazing what a great job you did. So nice to meet you just found your beautiful blog over and so happy I did. I have enjoyed looking around and I'm now following you, wonderful to meet new friends. Hope you find a spare minute to visit me sometime follow back if you like. I’m looking forward to keeping in touch in 2012.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool. From the minute you painted it gray I loved it! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me any kind of feedback!