Pages

January 19, 2012

Junk for Jewels

One of my favorite things to do is make something out of something else...hahaha, ya that made sense!
Let me try again...
I like to take some piece of junk, or piece of a piece of furniture, and give it a purpose - use it for something that it wasn't intended for.
Most times if you see me holding something sideways or upside down it's because I'm trying to figure out what it should be in it's next life.... This project is the perfect example. Do you know what these are?



How about now that it's technically upside down?


How about now?


I keep finding this piece by itself - no dresser- no mirror, all alone. I think it deserves to be something!
A little sanding, a little Old White, a little wood detail and some well-placed hooks...


And some jewelry that needed a better place to hang out than in my closet where it got tangled something fierce!


I love the way this turned out and think that most jewelry shouldn't be hidden away when it's not being worn.


I also believe I'll wear my pieces a lot more once I get them all hung up and I can actually see what I have.


They're super easy, fun and a lot better than throwing out those solid wood pieces!














What have you made into something else lately?



I'm sharing this at:

shabby creek cottage
Furniture Feature Fridays
Somewhat Simple


Photobucket








Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special









Sunday's Best Linky Party!

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found a new life for this and it didn't end up in a dumpster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Only you would think of doing that. That is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever repurpose! :)

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these two, especially the red one.
    My mother used one as a plate rack. She used it "right side up" and added a skinny shelf between the two ends, and a small lip along the bottom to set her decorative plates on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great. They look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I just did a jewelry display in my room for the exact same reasons you mentioned! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever way to reuse this piece! Thank you for sharing your lovely project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. Both of them are so nice, and what a great idea. Can I ask a question? How did you come up with the jewelry hangers, I don't think I would of come up with it. There not only jewelry hangers but a jewelry art display. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy;
    Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! It's funny you asked that question because just yesterday I was reading a post over at that was pointing out the fact that we all post our before and after pics but we never post enough about how we come up with our ideas in the first place. I am going to try to start documenting where the ideas come from as part of my blog. For this one however, I think when I saw the first one, sitting apart from the dresser it just looked like something you should hang things on. Also, as usual necessity was the mother of invention and my necklaces were all hanging tangled in my closet on hangers.
    Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me any kind of feedback!