Pages

March 13, 2012

Coat or Wine Jug?

So you may have noticed from my past posts that my lovely daughter Breanne came home from Edmonton to help me with the Women's Expo last weekend.
We are very close and always have a hard time saying good-bye at the airport when it's time for her to go home again. So, I surprised her this time by booking a flight to go back with her for a few days.
I was thinking we could do some shopping and reward ourselves for all our hard work preparing and working at the show! West Edmonton Mall here we come!


Well, as luck would have it, I got really sick the day before we left and spent the whole holiday in her bed. Both of us watching girl movies
and me trying not to cough on her.


Anyway, I'm really not trying to post about my illness lol just bear with me here.
We did leave her apartment for a little bit one day thinking I was feeling better (I wasn't)BUT while we were out I couldn't resist stopping at her local thrift store - it's a big city right - they might have good crap. Plus those places aren't fancy -
no one cares if you look like a mess.
I found this coat that made me look
exactly like my dog Charlie
(don't worry I wasn't delirious enough to buy it)!



But I did find something good...I think...since I know nothing about them and was hopped up on cold medication I decided to drag it home - and figure it out later.
If it turns out to be a mistake,
 I could toss my dirty Kleenexes in it.
I would love some input - does anyone know what to look for when purchasing these?
Apparently they are called Demijohns. 
"Demijohn" is an old word that formerly referred to any glass vessel with a large body and small neck, enclosed in wickerwork.


The bottom of it is wood and it's about 2 feet high. 

They are really a work of art and I love mine and may not even sell it, but am curious about their true value and how you know if you "got a good one"?
Is anyone else familiar with these? I would love some information regarding value and authenticity and age.



I'm sharing this at:



{Primp}



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

10 comments:

  1. OMG, I collect them and you have a beauty. They sell pretty high around here. One that large and with a wooden bottom would sell for around $200 or more here. I have not even come across one with a wooden bottom. Lucky you. Most of the large ones around here are $95 and up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Kim commented! She is the queen of demijohns and shows her beautiful collection off all the time(and we love it!). The one you found is very nice!~ I recently visited my daughter out in California to help her get settled in her first apartment. She caught the 24 hour flu one day, then 2 days later I caught it, so I know how you feel! Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KimmyLynn2u2@aol.comMarch 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM

    omg i see them all the time at my thrifts back home in ohio and they are only a couple bucks!!! 200$ are people nuts?? i could never even justify that i can afford it but cant justify it!! but they are big in the pottery barn catalogs they have them in alot of the roonms some are even made into lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is charlie a doodle? We have 2...a goldendoodle and a labradoodle. They are the best dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there
    Where can I find a list of items you have for sale? Please email me at esspresso99@hotmail.com
    Thank you!
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting! I don't know anything about them, but I really think I like it! :-) PS: That coat is hysterical. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me any kind of feedback!